Undergraduate Research Assistant Position - VORTEX-SE
Undergraduate Research Assitant Wanted!
Apply here! (Job Number: 220303)
CIMMS seeks to find an undergraduate research assistant to work with the Collaborative Lower Atmospheric Mobile Profiling System (CLAMPS) platforms. The student assistant will assist researchers with CIWRO (Cooperative Institute for Severe and High-Impact Weather Research and Operations) and the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) in the analysis of a dataset of high-resolution profile observations collected during multiple field experiments in the southeast United States, and participate in using that dataset to evaluate error in common operational forecast and warning tools for severe convection. To conduct this task, the assistant will analyze previously collected experimental observations alongside other standard observation archives. The assistant will be expected to:
- Gather data from multiple years of field deployments during VORTEX-SE
- Prepare data visualizations of experimental and observational data for analysis of case studies
- Perform data quality checks on gathered observation datasets
- Prepare detailed written reports of weather conditions leading up to and during high-impact weather from past VORTEX-SE field campaigns
- Basic knowledge of weather and severe storms
- Basic knowledge of command-line user interface
- Ability to collaborate as part of a broader team
- Willingness to learn new technical and communication skills
- Programming experience (Python, Matlab, etc.)
- Experience interrogating and/or visualizing meteorological data
- Experience with high resolution observations and/or forecast tools (e.g., SPC Mesoanalysis, HRRR forecasts, etc.)
Questions about this position can be directed to Tyler Bell and Elizabeth Smith.